Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Banana Oat Muffins

Those who know me know that I love breakfast foods. And there's two breakfast foods that I favor the most: pancakes and muffins. But this post, I will limit the fangirling to the topic of muffins.


The morning is a time for sipping large cups of coffee while reading the paper or watching the television and eating sweet carbohydrates. But of course, not everyone has time to lounge about with their mug. But I insist on at least having the muffins.


I should probably mention that I have a habit of buying cutesy muffin tin liners. Polka dots, stripes, and plaid call to me. I don't like fancy decorations on my breakfast cupcakes, but pretty muffin tin liners are completely acceptable and in fact are necessary. You know, because of the cute.


These muffins, while made to use up some blackening bananas, are deliciously moist (almost gooey) and chock full of banana flavor while surprisingly healthy (and vegan). I highly suggest smearing these with your favorite peanut butter alongside a steaming mug of strong coffee.

Banana Oat Muffins (Makes 12 muffins)
1 1/4 cups wheat flour
1 cup rolled or quick oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 mashed bananas (overly ripe are best)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then mix together until just combined. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each well of a lined muffin pan and sprinkle tops with decorative sugar or a few extra oats. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Nutrition Estimates:
Calories: 150 Carbs: 27g Fat: 4g Protein: 3g





No comments:

Post a Comment